Session Time: 20 mins
Distance Covered: 1.6 miles
So having had a day for the reality to sink in (which I hasten to add, it has not!) I really wanted to get out there and do something to feel like the first steps had been taken. So I put on my trainers, grabbed my ipod and hit the streets.
I was out for 20 minutes – I know I’m coming from a standing start (literally!) and I want to build up gradually, rather than my usual throw myself in, workout round the clock and then spend the next month recovering kind of approach!
So. Learnings from today. Here we go:
- I’ve decided that training sessions sounds boring and very much like hard work. Therefore I’ve made the decision to re-name them to party sessions…I already feel more up for getting out and running!! 🙂
- My trainers are already rubbing my feet.
- The immediate need for an industrial strength sports bra is apparent.
- It is necessary to charge the ipod before heading out…they struggle to play music without power.
- Other people aren’t necessarily enjoying their 7am morning start as much as I am. My enthusiasm, dancing and general happy demeanor will get me funny looks. Chosen course of action – enjoy their confusion and just carry on.
- Having a heart rate monitor is a great idea…providing you know how to operate it.
- The right music is a MUST – playlist forming will be essential going forward.
- Reward Reward Reward!! Completing this session I was absolutely bouncing off the walls with energy – have decided to finish each session with a celebratory “Happy Dance” to congratulate myself on the next step towards the marathon being completed!
So, I already have blisters on the back of my ankles, I had no music, and had pretty much every person I saw give me the “are you crazy, do I need to call the men in white coats?” look – but I loved it.
More importantly this was the point at which I made two really important decisions:
- To write this blog, share my experiences along the way and get the support from all the fabulous people out there who will be on this journey with me, in spirit if not in body.
- To make this process as FUN and enjoyable as it can be. I’m not running because I have to, I’m running because I CAN! 🙂 I want to find as many, silly, funny and down right daft ways to make this next few months as much fun as is possible.
So Happy Dance Danced, the next step is definitely to get some supplies (the rather amusing conversation this morning that started “just wear a sweatshirt”…”er…I don’t OWN a sweatshirt” prompted me to realise I really need to get the right gear to help me on the way!)
…and let’s face it…I never could turn down the excuse for a shopping trip…especially one involving new shoes… ;o)